The Head Brewer will be responsible for the overall productivity, management, and development of the brewhouse in close coordination with ownership and business operations personnel.
Reporting to the Owners, the Head Brewer oversees and directs all brewing processes including, but not limited to, raw material selection, recipe formulation, production schedules, troubleshooting, equipment maintenance, and finished product quality assurance/quality control procedures. The Head Brewer is responsible for optimization of brewery operations and assists with budgeting and the ongoing development of the department and its staff.
This is a full-time, exempt position.
Lead Brewing Production
- Oversee all brewing operations at the brewery, including: day-to-day process issues, recipe management, operating policies, procedures, release parameters, and safety policies, in accordance with OSHA requirements.
- Work with the Owners and Department Heads to create a brew schedule that accommodates customer market demands.
- Collaboratively design new recipes for seasonal and specialty beers and coordinated test brews that reflect RB’s commitment to innovating unique, creative beers of the highest quality.
- Work with the Operations Lead to prepare weekly schedules for brewing, beer transfer, and staffing/timing to meet production needs.
- Report a 5-day brew schedule to the Operations Lead/owners every Monday by 12pm for the following brew week- Monday through Sunday.
- Help revise any brew plans with the Operations Lead if any conflicting issues are found.
- Report any grain or equipment orders to the General Manager seven days before delivery/pickup for the General Manager to coordinate any necessary personnel help
- Ensure that deadlines are met to prevent scheduling conflicts in upstream and downstream production.
- Prepare annual capital projects wish list with estimated costs in the brewing department including operating budgets for both the short and long-term plans.
- Work with the Operations Lead to oversee budgets, expenditures, usage, receipts and inventory of raw materials, chemicals, and brewing aids.
- Order brewing materials, brewery chemicals, and related replacement parts to arrive on time and in proper amounts.
- Maintain detailed records and inventory of raw materials, quality checks, and production schedules in Ekos.
- Maintain accurate brewing records; provide a monthly summary/production reports. Brewhouse Management
- Enhance, and/or develop and enforce the policies and procedures of the organization, including creating and documenting comprehensive Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for:
- Brewing and cellar operations including malt handling, wort production, fermentation, yeast handling, liquid transfer, fining, colloidal stabilization, filtration, carbonation, keg cleaning/coding/filing.
- Equipment operations, including cleaning and sanitization procedures.
- Safety protocols.
- Quality Control (QC) and Quality Assurance (QA) programs and procedures.
- Manage and supervise brewing staff:
- Lead brew-team meetings communicating current objectives, production performance to plan, challenges and successes, troubleshooting, and taking corrective action when necessary.
- Oversee and develop the brewhouse staff through technical, supervisory, and line assignments in all functions supported by standard job descriptions, performance objectives, and performance assessments.
- Define these team requirements and performance objectives in conjunction with the Operations Lead.
- Conduct regular performance evaluations for brewhouse staff.
- Help with hiring new brewhouse staff members.
- Development and utilization of comprehensive brewhouse staff training materials and programs.
- Ensure that proper samples of raw materials in addition to in-process and finished beer are collected and analyzed appropriately to ensure a quality finished beer.
- Approve beer for release based on quantitative and qualitative parameters falling within operating and exception limits.
- Work with staff to resolve quality issues, elevate significant problems to the CEO, Operations Lead, and Sales Manager to ensure that no contaminated beer is released to the market.
- Ensure the cleanliness and sterilization of tanks, screens, inflow pipes, production areas, and equipment, using hoses, brushes, scrapers, or chemical solutions.
- Oversee functionality and maintenance of brewing equipment, CIP equipment, water delivery equipment, and sewer related systems Additional Responsibilities
- Support Rusty Bull’s core values of quality, teamwork, and service to our customers and coworkers.
- Provide our Operations Lead with all the necessary data and metrics for filing of Quarterly tax report.
- Represent Rusty Bull Brewing Co. in a manner consistent with our reputation for quality, professionalism, and expertise. This includes in the brewery, in the taproom, in third party establishments outside of work hours.
- Represent Rusty Bull Brewing Co. as a brand ambassador at events, festivals, and promotions, as needed.
- Represent Rusty Bull Brewing Co. as a brand ambassador during events in the taproom, as needed.
Charleston is a culinary hub, including a large tourism industry. The Lowcountry is a place lush with several beaches, rivers and tidal creeks, including several parks and recreational outlets. Locals and tourists alike gather together to enjoy locally brewed, fresh beer. As the local population has grown exponentially over the past decade due to industry such as Boeing, Mercedes, and Volvo, population growth continues, as well as the brewing industry. Rusty Bull Brewing Co. is a craft brewery centrally located on W. Montague Ave between I-26 and I-526, near the coliseum and Charleston international airport.
Founded in 2017, Rusty Bull Brewing Co. Opened with a 15 bbl brewhouse and 240 bbl of production capacity, including a 1,700sf indoor taproom with outside deck. In 2019, an expansion including a canning line and on-premise kitchen were opened.
Rusty Bull hosts a continuous schedule of events, creating opportunities for community around beer. We enjoy collaborating with non-profits through events for fund raising and awareness in the local community.
We also partner with local sport franchises, creating beers with the Charleston Riverdogs minor league team, as well as the Charleston Battery USL soccer club, among others.