About the Company:
The Bruery is a boutique craft brewery located in Orange County, CA. The company goes to market under three brand names; The Bruery, Bruery Terreux, and Offshoot Beer Co, each offering a high quality, unique offering. The Bruery specializes in barrel aged and experimental ales, Bruery Terreux is focused on innovative wild and sour ales, and Offshoot Brewing Co. is the company’s newest brand that focuses on a rotational hop-forward offering.
The company has built a strong following among a passionate base of customers, and more than half of The Bruery’s overall sales are direct-to-consumer through the company’s society membership programs and Orange County tasting rooms. The company selectively distributes its products to a network of distributors across the U.S. with a focus on craft beer-centric retail and restaurant accounts.
Founded as a small, family-run business in 2008, The Bruery takes its unique moniker from founder Patrick Rue’s family surname.
Patrick picked up home brewing as a hobby, which later became an obsession, as a distraction from the banality of law school. Early on, while driving his wife Rachel mad with the messes that he would leave on the kitchen stove, Patrick was winning awards for his beers. Upon finishing school, he took it upon himself to draft a business plan for The Bruery rather than study for the California Bar exam – a risky endeavor that still shows through today in the creative, genre-tilting beers that The Bruery prides itself on.
The Bruery was founded on the excitement that Patrick felt in his early years of homebrewing and continues to strive for that same passion in every aspect of its business today. The company has never stopped challenging itself to develop distinctive and imaginative beers, and constantly pursues improvement. The Bruery produces dozens of original beers each year with a perpetually growing list of ingredients and inspirations . Nearly half of The Bruery’s beer is aged in wine or spirit barrels bringing forth flavors reminiscent of the Belgian countryside or classic American distillers.
About the Role:
The primary responsibility of the R&D Brewing Manager role is to provide leadership and direction for execution of pilot projects from concept, to recipe development, to full scalable production. This role will work with senior production management to drive an innovation process that supports business objectives and elevates our position as leaders in the industry. The successful candidate will identify, evaluate, and assist with selection of ingredients and other technologies in order to recommend product profiles and formulas. Responsible for maintaining effective cross-functional relationships to ensure successful planning and execution of initiatives.
Essential Duties (include but are not limited to the following):
Research & Development:
- Understand leading technical trends and best practices across successful brands, and how these can apply to The Bruery to create new and unique processes and products
- Identify and test concepts / technologies, quickly validate results, and gain alignment and support from the Director of Production
- Work with significant autonomy to drive the innovation agenda with strong demonstration of both short and long term results
- Owner of all brewing recipes, with responsibility for recipe management including adjustments based on raw material status & quality, recipe security, etc.
- Work with internal and external partners: Suppliers, Regulatory, Supply Chain, Quality, Production Managers and Bruery leadership to achieve targeted product launches on time, on budget and on quality
- Design & conduct experiments to capitalize on novel ingredients for cost savings and improved performance, troubleshoot existing formulas to optimize production performance in partnership with production leadership
- Push the boundaries to create styles or tastes for beers that have never been done before or done a different way
- Stay up to speed on cross category trends (eg wine, food, cocktails, etc) and look for ways we can use as inspiration
- Routinely bring our beers to life by presenting internally and externally to demonstrate our innovation process in a way that makes even the hardest critic thirsty
- Manage pilot execution and strategy development for scale. Accountable for concept development in a manner that supports scaling in partnership with production brewing staff
- Responsible for ensuring proper handling of raw materials, supporting inventory control of raw materials, milling, wort production, automation and process adjustment, yeast management cleaning and CIP of pilot brewhouse
- Responsible for the training and support of pilot brewer and other production staff assigned to pilot brewhouse; provides shift coverage as needed for PTO, heavy workload and staffing gaps
- Provides support to packaging tasks when required under the direction of the Production Managers
- Responsible for ordering raw materials per the pilot production plan with approval based on budgeted costs
- Develop and adjust pilot production schedule from plan to execution; daily monitoring of fermentation profiles to steer scheduling decisions
- Build and execute production orders in Orchestrated beer on a timely basis as needed in the absence of supporting role for this function
- Create and maintain proper SOP documentation in accordance with management decisions
- Interpret, maintain and update shift schedule in accordance with management decisions
- Work closely with Production Managers and QA Manager to ensure communication regarding critical control points are monitored and achieved
- Participate in cross functional planning groups including but not limited to Safety Committee, S&OP Process and marketing/promotional activities
- Minimum of 2 years R&D / product development in alcohol beverage industry
- Minimum of 7 years production experience in beer industry
- Track record of pushing the boundaries of what beer is
- Ability to work with significant autonomy and maintain a high level of accountability
- Extensive knowledge of innovation and collaboration best practices
- Ability to influence strategic decisions of the business
- Strong entrepreneurial mindset
- Ability to apply high-level root-cause and problem solving skills at all levels
- 2-3 years of supervisory experience preferred
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented and excellent organizational skills
- Employee must regularly lift or move up to 55 pounds
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must be able to communicate with coworkers and customers.
Company Benefits Offered:
- Unlimited Paid Vacation
- Competitive Compensation
- Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Coverage
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Retirement Savings Plan 401(k)
- Education Reimbursement
- Paid Volunteering
- Matching Charitable Contributions
Check out more about us here: https://www.thebruery.com/pages/about-us
The Bruery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment background check required.