Swedesboro Brewing Company (Swedesboro, NJ)
Job Description Summary
Swedesboro Brewing Company (SBC) is a taproom brewery based in South Jersey. As a startup, SBC is focused on a taproom business model with expansion plans to include distribution. With one eye focused on quality and the other on creativity, the experienced Brewmaster will use our brand new, start-of-the-art 10-BBL brewhouse to help elevate, enhance, and continue to build our brewery and brands with energy, passion, and innovation. The Brewmaster is primarily responsible for executing all aspects of beer production and ensuring beers and other crafted beverages are produced according to recipes and schedules and in accordance with SBC specifications and quality standards. In this role, the Brewmaster is responsible for cleaning, sanitizing, and maintaining the brewhouse and its equipment, as well as keeping records for operations and assuring continuous quality improvement. The Brewmaster also supervises the production staff and supports the rest of the SBC team in running a successful brewery. In addition to these responsibilities, the Brewmaster is committed to the SBC mission of producing exceptional beer of the highest quality and dedicated to a culture that centers around the customer.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Brewing and Improving
- Execute all aspects of production duties including, but not limited to, milling, mashing, boiling, transferring, cooling, fermenting, and handling.
- Inform and assist in the formulation and refinement of recipes.
- Aid in the development and continual evaluation of standard operating procedures (SOPs) for producing SBC beers and other beverages, across many styles.
- Implement best practices in brewing to ensure that all crafted beers and beverages are consistently produced according to recipes and schedules and in accordance with SBC specifications and quality standards.
- Build and implement quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) programs that include microbiological sampling and testing, water quality monitoring, yeast managing, dissolved oxygen testing, and package stability testing.
- Participate in beer sensory panels to aid in troubleshooting problems in the brewery and make sure SBC is producing beers and other beverages that are true to brand.
- Maintain brewing and related documentation in an organized, accurate, and complete manner.
- Assist the Brewhouse Manager with managing inventory, including selecting and evaluating the quality of raw materials used in brewing, tracking and monitoring materials used for packaging, working with vendors for supplying, and reviewing efficiency metrics used in operating.
- Work with the Brewhouse Manager to develop, implement, and evaluate improvement initiatives designed to facilitate greater production efficiencies and quality as well as new brewing processes.
Cleaning and Maintaining
- Keep the working areas of the brewhouse clean, sanitized, and operational at all times.
- Clean and sanitize all brewing equipment in accordance with SOPs to ensure consistent beer quality and safety.
- Inspect and maintain all brewery equipment including, but not limited to, air compressor, boiler, chiller, and CO2system to ensure it is kept in optimal working condition and does not delay beer production.
- Troubleshoot and report all equipment problems to the Brewhouse Manager and/or brewery owners.
- Make recommendations to the Brewhouse Manager for maintenance, repair, and upkeep of brewhouse and all equipment.
- Assist the Brewhouse Manager with communicating with outside vendors regarding brewhouse and equipment improvement bids and logistics.
Managing and Supervising
- Track brewery production against company timelines, goals, and key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Stay at the cutting edge of beer trends and styles, raw materials, brewing science, brewing processes, and other facets of brewing.
- Maintain all required production paperwork and records including, but not limited to, recipe sheets, brew / batch logs, scientific analyses of brews, inventory sheets, and packaging records, in an accurate and detailed manner.
- Identify improvement opportunities in recipes, processes, and quality programs.
- Manage the cleaning and maintenance schedules on the production line.
- Help inform decisions related to sourcing raw materials, purchasing equipment, and hiring brewhouse staff.
- Inspire a team of enthusiastic brewery staff including future direct reports, such as Assistant Brewers.
- Help organize training requirements to develop the skills of brewhouse staff.
- Ensure a safe working environment for employees by complying with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards and enforcing compliance with local, county, state, and federal government safety requirements.
- Attend brewery staff meetings, as required.
- Help build the company customer base by giving patrons guided tours of the brewery to demonstrate production capacity and showcase beer quality.
- Work with the Marketing team to publicize the brewery and improve brand recognition, as well as to identify market demand for specific styles of beer and other beverages.
- Represent SBC and its brands in a professional and positive manner at all times, both inside and outside the brewery.
- Serve as a public face of the company by attending and participating in industry and public events, including festivals, promotions, and conferences throughout the year.
- Work in the Taproom, as requested, servicing customers at the tasting bar.
- Demonstrate pride in servicing the community and providing extraordinary customer service.
- SBC reserves the right to change duties, responsibilities and activities at any time.
- Perform all other job duties and functions that may be assigned as the brewery evolves and grows.
Job Compensations and Benefits
- Compensation is highly competitive but determined by experience and other factors.
- This job includes 3-weeks equivalent paid time off (PTO).
- Brewery plans to offer employer-sponsored insurance, 401(k), and/or other company benefits.
- This position is bonus eligible.