Brewingwork Recruiting is representing a wildly disruptive and insanely fast paced Toronto-based startup operating in the fully legal Canadian cannabis / marijuana industry. Our products are transformative and when they succeed, they will improve lives around the world. As a result, we all feel a lot is riding on our success and we push ourselves to achieve what others may think is impossible – in a short amount of time. Working here is a lot of fun, but make no mistake – it is also a demanding environment where success is strongly rewarded and giving 110% is the baseline expected of everyone. We only hire those able to both think strategically, see the big picture, exercise leadership, but also to roll up their sleeves, get dirty, have extraordinary attention to detail and do what needs to be done.
The Master Brewer will be responsible for all aspects of the brewing process, from recipe design to day-to-day operations. Since we are patent-pending on the world’s only process to brew a beer from the cannabis plant, our Master Brewer must be comfortable working with a wort that’s totally unique and never been brewed with before. This exciting opportunity, requires a creative, outside-the-box problem solver who isn’t daunted by a challenge. This role will include commissioning our new brewery, helping to build out the brewery team, and developing our first products. Responsibilities include:
· Creating new formulations and recipes for entire product line
· Scaling up new beers from pilot scale to full production
· Commissioning our 20 HL Brewery
· Ensuring that all equipment and operating systems are of sufficient capacity and reliability
· Identifying brewing process and beer quality issues and developing systematic cause and effect approach to solutions
· Managing the brewery and brewing schedule to make sure that supply is sufficient and appropriate inventory is maintained
· Managing yeast and other brewing ingredients
· Writing and managing SOPs for brewery operations
· Ensuring the quality of raw materials used in the brewing process
· Spending time on the floor in the brewery to make sure staff are working efficiently and production is running smoothly
What you will need to be successful in this role:
· 5+ years experience in brewing
· 3+ years experience in running a brewery
· Experience with all stages of the brewing process (wort production, fermentation, fermenter/brite CIP & sanitation, dry hopping, yeast management, conditioning, kegging and bottling) as well as automated brewing systems and industrial utility systems
· Technical and mechanical knowledge of brewhouse operations
· Understanding of trends in craft beer
· Ability to recognize beer off-flavors and develop corrective actions
· Knowledge of QA techniques and beer analytics
· Must be extraordinarily attentive to detail
· Strong project management skills
· Skilled manager capable of keeping staff on-task
· Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Brewing Science – if you do not hold a Ph.D., do not bother applying
· Certificate or other advanced education in the brewing process a huge plus
Key team competencies and location:
Flexibility/adaptability. Copes effectively with complexity and change. Comfortable with ambiguity.
Experience in a startup environment is preferred.
Self-starter. Is resourceful when facing challenges.
Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
Attention to detail. Organized, methodical, and meticulous.
Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
Team-oriented style and strong work ethic. Possesses a strong willingness to work hard to get the job done and setting an example for the team. Has a track record of delivering on ambitious goals.
Appropriate balance of confidence and humility.
We're based out of Grimsby, Ontario, but we're happy to relocate the right candidate from ANYWHERE in the world for this opportunity!