Head Brewer – Brewers at 4001 Yancey
Here’s your opportunity to join a growing organization committed to revolutionizing the craft beer industry.
Artisanal Brewing Ventures (ABV) is a top 10 regional craft brewer in the United States and is the parent company of three long standing, successful craft breweries; Victory Brewing, established in 1996 in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, Southern Tier Brewing, established in 2002 in Lakewood, NY, and Sixpoint Brewing, established in 2004 in Brooklyn, NY.
Headquartered at our 28,000 sq. ft. innovation brewery and taproom in the South End area of Charlotte, NC, ABV is a partnership platform that supports like-minded, craft breweries and allows them to continue to thrive through these tougher times in the craft business. We bring together partner breweries to provide them the resources to compete against the bigger players in the beer industry but also allow them to maintain their culture and brand authenticity. ABV supports our partner breweries through managing the “back office” work so the brewers can focus on making great tasting, innovative, quality beer.
We are looking for world class candidates who share in our vision towards becoming a world class organization.
The Head Brewer is responsible for leading the brewing team to produce top quality and consistent beer in the safest and most efficient manner possible. The position is responsible for moving brands forward from inception, through development, and into final production. They will coordinate with brewery leadership on the creation and execution of beer concepts, ideas, and recipes.
They will be responsible for all aspects of brewing such as ingredient purchasing, planning and execution of brewing functions, leading process improvement efforts, and ensuring safe and sanitary working conditions. The Head Brewer is also a hands-on member of the brewing team, meaning that they will be expected to be competent in executing wort production, active fermentations, dry hopping, conditioning beer, lab monitoring and packaging tasks when necessary.
Reports to: COO
- Lead new product development with recipe formulation and innovative techniques to create new and exciting flavor experiences while coordinating with the management team to adhere to TTB labelling guidelines and product launch time frames.
- Manage and plan brew schedule on 25 BBL brewhouse and regularly communicate schedule to taproom, marketing, and sales departments.
- Capable of performing all brew house, cellar, CIP, QC, and Packaging duties.
- Coordinate purchasing and inspection of raw material ingredients; ensure inventory is on hand for brew days and recipe/brewing transaction are recorded in ERP system.
- Author new and edit existing SOPs and implement systems to ensure brewers are performing in compliance with processes. Manage brewing logs and beer record keeping files.
- Completion and submittal of quarterly TTB reports.
- Manage development, planning, and execution of site pilot brewing program.
- Organize and unite the team with constant communication on performance and focused objectives and goals inside the brewery.
- Recruit, train, motivate, educate, lead, schedule and manage brew-house staff.
- Lead by example and set a Safety First culture by always wearing PPE, following LOTO procedures, and looking out for the well-being of the staff with identification and correct hazards and environmental concerns in a timely manner.
- Ensure the facility is regularly cleaned and always in a presentable condition. Maintain brewing areas to ensure compliance with company quality, sanitation and safety standards.
- Maintain and keep the brewing facility in working order, which includes having equipment serviced regularly by a professional, or brewing staff.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
Ambassador: The Head Brewer is one of the premier resources of the brewing staff; representing the Company at internal and external events.
- Oversee in-house and external tours and brewer events with staff ensuring we represent the brewery well at each occasion.
- Provide tours that convey the brewers’ passion, convey the distinctions of our brewery in the craft industry, and adjust content to the audience.
- Be the primary point of contact for our brewery material suppliers, and mediate any quality and supply issues.
Quality Finished Beer Production and Process Improvement: Quality finished beer production is ultimately the most important part of this job. Our beer is consistent, free from defects, true to style and of the highest quality.
- Maintain an adequate supply of malt, hops, yeast, packaging, and other brewery supplies to keep up with production.
- Qualify new suppliers and keep records of supplier issues and performance.
- Track and analyze performance on a daily basis to identify gaps and opportunities to continuously improve the quality, consistency, and cost of our products.
Action Oriented - Has a strong bottom-line orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record of exceeding goals successfully. Pushes self and helps other achieve results.
Plans & Aligns – Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Drives Engagement - Empowers others with meaningful decision making and ownership. Ensures that all team members are motivated to work toward common goals. Celebrates the team’s successes along the way. Provides praise, recognition, and rewards for strong performance.
Drives Vision and Purpose - Talks about future possibilities in a positive way. Creates milestones and symbols to rally support behind the vision. Articulates the vision in a way everyone can relate to. Creates organization-wide energy and optimism for the future. Shows personal commitment to the vision.
Collaborates - Worked cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives. Represents own interests while being fair to others and other areas. Partners with other to get work done. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments. Gains trust and support of others.
Communicates Effectively - Is effective in a variety of communication settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, or among diverse styles and position levels. Attentively listens to others. Adjusts to fit the audience and message. Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization. Encourage the open expression of diverse ideas and opinion.