Melvin Brewing is seeking an experienced production brewing manager to help us make top quality beer in beautiful Alpine, WY, 45 minutes from Jackson Hole. Western Wyoming is home to world class skiing, hiking, mountain-biking, fishing, rafting, kayaking, snowmobiling and hunting.
We are currently operating a 30 bbl, 6-vessel automated brewhouse in a 20,000 square foot brewing facility among the mountains and rivers of western Wyoming. We are looking for someone who can complement our vision with his or her skillset.
The right candidate will be responsible for daily operation of a 30 bbl brewhouse and all equipment involved to produce a variety of beer styles in strict adherence to Melvin Brewing’s process, quality and safety standards.
We are looking for a dynamic leader that can achieve results and uphold our high standards of quality and consistency. This position will oversee all production activities and production personnel. This position requires a positive team leader that is effective at scheduling staff and brews to ensure the achievement of our far-reaching goals. The right person will have the ability to maintain consistency, quality, and efficiencies throughout the production process, while fostering a positive team work environment. A thorough competency in all aspects of beer production including grain handling, yeast management, filtration, sanitation, packaging and QA/QC required. As with all positions at Melvin Brewing Company, we are looking for someone with a passion for world-class beer, a strong work ethic, solid leadership qualities, and a team player.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Manage the Melvin Brewing Company brewing operations, including a 30 BBL brewhouse, fermenters, brite tanks and pilot brewing system
• Shift brewing as needed
• Manage production team schedules to meet goals and adhere to budget
• Enforce, further develop and execute Standard Operating Procedures and safety standards consistently
• Identify areas of increased operational efficiencies and drive continuous improvement culture throughout production team
• Develop performance and productivity metrics for production department and hold all production employees accountable for achieving these goals
• Monitor beer quality and provide resources for troubleshooting and data analysis
• Maintain brewery, cellaring, packaging, and other related documentation in an organized and thorough manner
• Monitor and assist in maintaining company assets through proper maintenance programs
• Assist in equipment selection required to execute growth initiatives
• Work with Sales Manager on production planning and forecasting
• Manage raw materials inventories to achieve brewing and budgetary goals
• Work with Facilities Manager to meet and exceed OSHA work place safety requirements
• Lead a safety culture and attitude in operations at all time
• Promote and model a clean, sanitary and safe work environment
• Lead weekly production department meetings and ongoing safety meetings
• With the QA Department, develop and review quality reports and statistics to insure consistent, quality finished goods
• In concert with QA Department, manage experimental brews
• Coach and mentor production employees, lead training initiatives, create
opportunities for team development, assist in hiring decisions and lead performance management and recognition
• Conduct periodic employee performance reviews
• Adherence to department budget parameters provided by ownership
• Lead the annual budget process for department
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Minimum 5 years of experience in the brewing industry, preferably with a degree or certification in brewing science and technology
• Proven brewery knowledge including chemistry and biology
• Strong mechanical and electrical abilities and operational understanding of all brewery processes
• Solid level of experience with world class manufacturing techniques
• Ability to create a strategy to implement continuous improvement initiatives in brewery and packaging processes to meet demand and improve consistency, quality and efficiency
• Strong computer skills (web-based e-mail, Microsoft Office suite)
• Project management skills related to brewery expansion and growth projects
• Proven leadership skills with ability to lead and motivate a growing team
• High level of attention to detail and strong verbal and written communication skills
• Previous experience with ERP software (OBEER preferred)
• Sound knowledge of financial management tools
• A desire to teach others about beer and the Melvin brand
• Self-motivated as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a team
• Ability to stand for long periods of time (8-10 hours)
• Ability to lift heavy objects (lifting up to 55 pounds)
• Ability to work in hot and cold environments
The right candidate will possess a love of the outdoors and having fun! Whether it’s skiing, hiking, mountain-biking, fishing, rafting, kayaking, snowmobiling or all of the above.
Alpine is located about 40 miles south of Jackson Hole, WY, gateway to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. Our brewery is located on the banks of Palisades Reservoir and the Snake River, with two more rivers and vast wilderness all around.
Melvin Offers: IRA, Medical, Dental and Vision benefits, access to free and discounted ski passes, and some pretty great beer! IF YOUR BEER IS NOT MADNESS. IT’S NOT BEER!
Melvin Brewing Company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, military status, or political ideology in any of its activities or operations.
To apply: send resume, cover letter and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org