Last Best Brewing & Distilling is a 350-seat restaurant, brewpub, distribution brewery and distillery located in downtown Calgary, AB. We’re looking for an experienced head brewer to take ownership of our existing operation and make it their own through our next phase of growth.
Last Best started brewing in 2014 and rapidly became the standard for which Alberta craft beer was measured against. We opened our restaurant in 2015 and have since grown our production to over 4000hL out of our downtown location. We currently distribute to 120+ customers within Calgary, have a full lab, production team and a distilling operation making both whiskey as well as tackling a never-before-attempted challenge – making 52 different small batch gins in 2018 through #gincrazeyyc.
As the Head Brewer for Last Best, you would lead our existing production team including production manager, lab manager and 2 full time brewers. You would report to the Brewery Operations Manager for Bearhill Brewing (our parent company) as well as the in store General Manager. We’re looking for a Head Brewer to take full creative control of the brewery and drive innovation, creativity and cultural integration into the future.
As head brewer, you would:
- Plan, direct and coordinate all beer and wash production activities in the brewery.
- Lead, train and develop our existing brewery team.
- Develop seasonals, collaborations and one-offs, including barrel-aged, sour, and limited release bottled beers.
- Lead the ongoing development of our sour beer program.
- Work with new and existing suppliers to showcase and drive innovation in the craft malt sector.
- Develop and maintain SOPs and train staff in the safe implementation of brewing procedures.
- Manage beer production forecasts with the restaurant General Manager and external customers.
- Fulfil orders with the existing sales team for on-premise sales.
- Educate and mentor restaurant front of house staff on beer styles, sensory training and off-flavours.
- Be a part of customer events including speaking engagements, beer dinners and training workshops.