- All day-to-day distillery and brewery tasks that cover the production and packaging of whisky and craft beer.
- Ensure quality products are manufactured, tested for quality assurance, filled, packaged and shipped on time, in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensuring that all production meets quality standards and that standard operating procedures are being followed by junior production staff.
- Ensure all production record keeping and documentation is up-to-date and meets all legal requirements
- Assist the Brewmaster / Production Manager developing production and shift scheduling based upon rapidly growing production plan requirements, events, tours and other needs of the Company.
- Drive plant productivity and cost savings through waste reduction, production efficiency, and operations improvements.
- Customer coordination and liaison with contract manufacturing customers for all aspects of their craft spirit and beer production needs.
- Assist with new product development
- Maintain a safe working environment for all on-site staff.
- Ensure compliance with Health and Safety policies, systems and processes, including Worksafe, WHMIS, wastewater and by-product disposal.
- Work with the CRD and other governmental agencies to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Contribute strongly to continuous improvement of quality systems, efficiency and safety
- Contribute to materials planning and procurement to ensure scheduled production can take place, that orders are met and stock levels maintained.
- Supervise, train and develop junior distillery/brewery staff.
- Other responsibilities as required by the business.
- Minimum 4 years’ production distilling and brewing experience, with at least 3 years experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Demonstrated commercial experience distilling single malt (scotch-style) whisky, on traditional pot stills is a must
- A strong multi-faceted brewing background, including such proven skills as new product design for craft beers and/or spirits, warehouse management and packaging are key skills to have
- Demonstrated application of CPI for yield, quality and productivity improvements, variance reduction, change control, and in monitoring and control of production processes.
- Experience with large scale (European/Scottish style) production craft breweries is strongly recommended.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in providing leadership and mentoring to a compact cross-functional, multi-disciplinary team.
- Exceptional record keeping and attention to detail are required
- Excellent time and priority management skills, ability to handle multiple simultaneous programs.
- Strong communication, written, oral and interpersonal skills, in English, are required.
- Formal brewing and/or distilling education not essential but considered an asset.
Start Date: Summer 2018
Starting salary $50,000 annually, depending on experience, with compensation reviewed annually. Potential performance bonuses of up to 10% of salary are possible subject to meeting both personal and corporate objectives in addition to equity ownership grants to employees. We also offer a comprehensive benefit’s package for full time employees which includes paid holidays; health, dental, vision; and other incentives.
We are located in Saanich, Victoria, BC, a world-class city with a strong local economy based on a wide variety of sectors such as tourism, high tech business, government and universities. Greater Victoria is the home to the Victoria Whisky Festival and Great Canadian Beer Festival. It offers a world leading educational system, one of the safest North American environments for families, has a fabulous climate in which to live and enjoy the greater outdoors, and is unsurpassed for arts, sports and outdoor enthusiasts. Victoria is rated the Top Island in the Continental US and Canada; the Island is designated one of the Top Ten Islands in the World by the 2014 Travel+Leisure World's Best Awards and was also rated as the #1 Destination to Visit in Canada by the 2010 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards.
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply directly in confidence to this job posting with a cover letter and resume that clearly indicates the position, and demonstrates your education and experience required of this position, as well as your salary expectations by Friday June 28, 2018.
Victoria Caledonian Distillery and Twa Dogs Brewery
761 Enterprise Cr.
We thank all applicants who apply; however only those selected for consideration will be contacted.