The brewery is an established microbrewery located very close to Denver, Colorado. The brewery’s founders come from various walks of life, including finance, engineering, and accounting, but resonate as one around their passion for community, great beer, and even greater people. The brewery’s employees and culture imbue hospitality, social responsibility, and a love of the craft. Now in a position of exciting growth and expansion possibility, the brewery is searching for a veteran Head Brewer to take this adventure above and beyond.
The flagship brewery comprises of a 15bbl Premier Stainless combi-tank brewhouse with 10 barrel, 15 barrel, and 30 barrel unitank fermenters, and a battery of 15 barrel multifunctional serving tanks. The facility is designed and built for small to mid-scale distribution whilst maintaining up to 20 unique beers served in the taproom at any given time.
The head brewer is expected to lead recipe development, champion beer selection, manage and own quality control, hold accountability for quality assurance, yeast management, ordering and inventory management of supplies, coordinating distribution, and uphold values of the brewery by being the face of the business. This position offers exciting working and growth opportunity to lead a quality-focused expanding brewery. The brewery is looking for a person who possesses a passion for high caliber beer and an ambition for learning and developing a unique brewing skillset, someone who can lead and grow a team of likeminded individuals. Come be part of a fun, success-focused team!
Desirable experience to us is sustained brewing on at least a 15 bbl system in full production, the creation and successful execution of more than 50 “styles” of beer, has at least 7 years of experience as a head brewer and has working knowledge of all aspects of brewery operations, record keeping and maintenance. Packaging and distribution experience are required. Scale-up experience is highly desired. Knowledge and experience in quality control and quality assurance is recommended for consideration. The candidate needs to the have a passion for developing beers that will become unique brewery/customer favorites as well as the ability to create true-to-style mainstream selections. The ideal candidate needs to understand barrel aging, sours, yeast strains, hop varieties, grain varieties, grain roasts, etc. and manage raw materials with high standards and record keeping. This is a salaried position but hours will vary as production demands dictate. A formal brewing education is preferred, but not required, with comprehensive understanding of the fundamentals of brewing science.Essential Functions / Responsibilities
The brewery takes their core values very seriously. All team members are expected to embrace and embody these values each and every day:
Essential Duties and ResponsibilitiesCraft - Back of House
- Quality output in everything you do.
- Creative pursuit of mastery.
- Integrity in your actions.
- Successful integration of work and life.
- Complete brewing process in a safe, productive and efficient manner. This includes, but is not limited to, milling, mashing, and lautering, wort boiling, cooling and transferring to fermenters.
- Ensure supply of raw materials and other inventory items such as:
- Bulk Malt
- Specialty malts
- Hops & Hop Contracts
- Brewing Salts and kettle additives
- Safety Equipment
- Monitor, pitch and evaluate yeast as needed. Preferably have experience with yeast cultures, propagation, cell counts, cell health and basic lab operations
- Preferably experienced with wild ales and wild yeast management methods.
- Preferably have experience with oximeters, cellometers, and basic testing equipment.
- Monitor gravities, temperatures, volumes/inventory, and carbonations daily.
- Experienced in water profile modification preferable.
- Cellar operations including filtration, tank transfer, sanitation procedures.
- Operate cellar equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Have experience with handling barrels and wood vessels (cleaning, maintenance, etc)
- Work to develop and maintain barrel program.
- Experience with BeerSmith or other recipe development software
- Maintain and up-to-date brew schedule and release calendar with support and input from the front of house and distribution.
- Develop, maintain and follow standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Record keeping and inventory control of all beers produced.
- Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and on time.
- Ability to perform Inventory, yield and loss summaries
- Work with the rest of the team to constantly ensure product meets standards of the highest quality. Suggestions include formal sensory testing, analytical method development and anything else to ensure great beer makes it to the customer.
- Experience with equipment maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Ability to perform physical labor, lifting 75 lbs and moving 160 lbs
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Maintain cleanliness of all areas in the brew house.
- Maintain waste discharge log.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in line cleaning, tap maintenance and bar operations.
- Arrive each day with a positive attitude.
- Perform duties as assigned.
- Communicate regularly and efficiently with all staff and owners.
- Ability to be directed and follow assignments, as well as bring ideas to the table.
- Recipe development; on-going, creative with input from market trends and taproom customer feedback
- Have experience and proven planning and organizational skills
- Must have flexible work schedule.....this is not a 9-5
- Detail oriented