Fish Brewing, proud producers of award winning of beers, wines, ciders, and spirits is seeking a head brewer. This position is stationed at our landmarked Olympia brewery. We are looking for a brewer who can lead our team, focus on quality and consistency, and be an innovator of new, traditional, and eclectic styles of beer.
The Head Brewer is responsible for brewing, fermentation, and filtration.
- Brewing responsibilities cover monitoring inventory and quality of all brewing raw materials, brewhouse efficiency and wort quality, and adjustment of recipes as needed to maintain consistency. The Head Brewer is responsible for training brewers.
- Fermentation responsibilities include overseeing yeast management (cropping, pitching, general health of the yeast, propagation of new cultures). The tracking and evaluation of fermentation profiles is a parallel task of yeast management. Also, Head Brewer trains and oversees cellar staff on tank cleaning, yeast pitching, and housekeeping.
- Filtration responsibilities include managing filtration and/or centrifuge of all beers”to include decisions on when the beer is ready to filter, blending of beers.
- The Head Brewer develops and updates all SOP's for the above areas and keeps track of beer production from grain to glass.
- The head brewer also focuses on local compliance with Sanitation, aids in scheduling in the department, and manages the flow of raw brewing materials throughout the brewing process. Other duties include in-house tastings with brewing staff and pub staff, product freshness testing, working with the marketing dept on beer descriptions, and advising management on beer styles.